Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I'm here!!!!

Hi friends! 
After 24 hours of traveling, plane delays, some mechanical errors, Heathrow Airport (holy huge!), and the wonderful grace of God I finally made it to Derry! It was so neat to fly into Northern Ireland on a tiny plane and see it from above- so green with lots of sheep. I traveled most of the way with my friend Lacey and after landing in Derry we had no idea where to find a bus or taxi to campus. Fortunately we found another American in the same situation and after standing on the sidewalk for a while and feeling totally jet lagged we found a taxi. I couldn't believe it when he threw all of our suitcases in the trunk- we had so much stuff!!! On the way to campus he told us about the city and how smart we were to choose Derry and not a huge city. The people here are really friendly, but I have definitely encountered some people I can barely understand. I think it'll take some time for me to get an ear for the accent. I'm living in a flat with 4 other girls from the US, Canada, and France who are all great! It's nice to be living with other girls in the same situation as me :-)
We had our first day of orientation today which consisted of a short tour and a meeting with professors about registering for classes. It was so great to meet more international students- I still feel so weird calling myself that. 
I have walked a bit around the city yesterday and today which has been neat- definitely a lot of exploring to do :-)
I hope you are doing well- I would love to hear from you! My camera has been acting weird, but I hope I can post pictures soon!

4 comments:

Katrina said...

Yay! I'm glad to hear you made it and that you found some friends in the same situation. Way to be an international student! And the green fields with sheep... I'm jealous. :)

Mom said...

Sounds wonderful Sara...I'm so glad you are there safe and sound. Have fun, make good choices and know that we love you very much! I feel so cool "blogging" (is that a verb?).
XOXO Mom

Heidi said...

Yay Smac! I'm so glad you made it there safe! I am so jealous that you get to listen to amazing Irish accents every day. Sounds amazing friend!

Unknown said...

Hello my international-student-cuzzz!!!
Praying for you and your time there!!
Keep the posts coming! Pics too!!

xoxoxoxo Court, from boring, un-international, California!! :)